ethics & individuals
read to prepare yourselves for session 08
- Read the blog posting on vaccines and values and think about the issues in the article in terms of individual ethical values in relation to the ethical values of the individual's organization
- Read the ACM Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct and ask yourselves if you agree with it, or if not, why not.
things we'll talk about
- how can we perceive the issue of lying, deceit, and subterfuge from an individual's point of view?
- what kinds of things motivate individuals to behave ethically within organizations?
- what kind of consequences for the organization can occur when one individual does not behave ethically? can you think of any recent examples?
- how have technological developments empowered individuals to do more damage if they don't behave ethically?
- what risks can unethical information technology professionals pose to people's privacy and well-being?