individual identity within organizations
read to prepare yourselves for session 07
Timmons, S., & East, L. (November 01, 2011).
Uniforms, status and professional boundaries in hospital.
Sociology of Health and Illness, 33, 7, 1035-1049.
Chapter 2, Uncovering the levels of culture, pages 16-27
in Schein, E. H. (1985). Organizational culture and leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
things we'll talk about
- how do artifacts, espoused values, and basic underlying assumptions change how individuals feel about their organization?
- let's have some examples from you all
- do different individuals perceive the same organization differently?
- how do our interactions with elements of UNC's culture affect the way we feel about it?
- how do personal, visible identifiers like uniforms impact an individual's sense of belonging in an organization?
If the session will include an in-class exercise, it will be noted here.