Davidson County Public Library--North Carolina's First County Public Library

October 25, 1928

Thomasville High School

Thomasville Library opened in the

library room of the high school 

which was located on 

the second floor of the school. 


Commerce Street

A few months later, the library was moved

to a small room on Commerce Street in 1929. 

First Thomasville African American Library opened 1929

First Thomasville African American Library Sept. 26, 1936

1st branch of theThomasville library  for the African American citizens opened  at the corner of Church and Highland Streets. 

Thomasville Library April 1936

November/December, 1936

Salem Street Location

48 Salem St. 2003


The library moved to 48 Salem Street

due to a need for more space in 

November/December 1936.

May, 1938

City Hall walk

City Hall front

Interior 1941

During May of 1938, the library was moved toa room on the first floor of the west wing of the new City Hall which had been designated for that use. 


Church Street School 1938

WhenChurch  Street School  was opened in 1938   for the African American community, the county  moved the contents of the small library building  on the corner of  Church and Highland Streets  to the book collection of  the school and checked out books to children, and after school, to adults. 


100 Brown St. 

Interior of Brown St. with Reynolda Motley

100 Brown St.

1951, the Brown Street Library was opened at 100 Brown Street to serve African American  patrons

April 20, 1958

1st county library built as a library Seating area located in front of main desk

First building designed specifically for the library 

was dedicated at 22 Randolph St. The building 

still located at the corner of at the corner 

of Randolph St. and Colonial Dr. now serves 

 as the Davidson County Courthouse building 

 in Thomasville



J. Walter Lambeth Wing added in 1968

22 Randolph St.

Brown Street Library united with the main 

 Thomasville Library which had been serving 

African American patrons since 1962. 

August 4, 1989

Groundbreaking ceremonies for the

present library building at 

14 Randolph Street

July 20, 1990

14 Randolph St. 1990s

Doors closed at 22 Randolph Street library building.  Last Summer Reading Party held in the building   on the same day that volunteers began to move   the materials to 14 Randolph Street

Thomasville Library late 1990s

August 24, 1990 

New facility opened at 14 Randolph Street

October 1990 dedication of 14 Randolph Street 

Thomasville Library 2003


October 28, 1990

was the dedication of current 14 Randolph Street facility. 


Davidson County Public Library System Timelines

Oct. 23, 1928**Lexington **
Oct. 25, 1928**Thomasville**
Winter 1929**Bookmobile on the road**
1955**North Davidson **
January 2000**West Davidson**