Welcome to INLS 161-001
This site houses the course files and syllabus for INLS 161-001, Tools for Information Literacy.
The course runs from 22 June 2015 to 27 July 2015. The full site and syllabus will be available one week before the class begins. The class runs every day (except holidays), 11:00-12:30 in Manning Hall, room 117 (the computer lab inside the SILS library).
The course description, as it appears in the UNC course catalog:
"Tools and concepts for information literacy. Includes software use and maintenance, computer applications, and networked information systems."
The course introduces some basic technology tools as an essential component of information literacy training. We will cover the following:
- Operating on a remote system
- Using version control software to maintain your workflow
- Manipulating and formatting text-based documents
- Processing data using spreadsheets
- Processing and storing data in databases
- Developing presentation materials to communicate your work effectively