This organization is a student chapter of the American Library Association (ALA) and is affliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) School of Information and Library Science (SILS). All full-time and interested part-time SILS students at UNC-CH are considered full members and can enjoy all of SCALA's events and offerings. Our purpose is to represent the ideas of the ALA at UNC-CH and within SILS through arranged activities where these ideas can be presented for and discussed by the students.
Find out more about your current officers here.
For more information, visit American Library Association (ALA).
Our objectives are:
- To facilitate and encourage participation in the ALA.
- To increase awareness and use of the resources of the ALA, including publications, promotional materials, scholarships, and conferences.
- To provide a local forum for the exchange of ideas and information about trends, issues, and opportunities in the library and information science profession.
- To assist students in developing skills and professional relationships that will enable them to have a creative impact on the library and information science profession.
- To promote involvement in professional activities beyond the classroom.
- To increase awareness of national issues in library and information science.
- To promote interaction with other student chapters of the ALA.
- To provide professional development activities that relate to one or more of the five key action areas adopted by the ALA: diversity, education andcontinuous learning, equity of access, intellectual freedom, and 21st century literacy.