High Rock Lake -365 miles of shoreline dotted with weekend cottages.
There are state-operated free boat ramps, private ramps and campgrounds
on the Davidson County side of the lake. Sail and motor boating, skiing,
fishing, swimming, and picnicking can be enjoyed.
North Carolina Vietnam Veteran's Memorial -On I-85 near Thomasville
is the North Carolina Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. The park and monument
cover 1 1/2 acres and recognizes 1,620 North Carolinians who were killed
or missing during the Vietnam War. The memorial is located south of Exit
102 and is accessible from both northbound and southbound lanes.
Daniel Boone's Cave State Park -Daniel Boone, the great hunter and
pioneer hero, settled on the banks of the Yadkin River on May 1, 1750.
The place where the Boone family lived is on a high hill overlooking the
Yadkin River. Now a State Park, one can visit the reconstructed home of
Daniel Boone and explore the cave believed to be his hideout on the Yadkin
Yadkin College -Completed in 1856, this two-story, five-bay, stuccoed
brick structure is the only remnant of the Yadkin College school buildings.
Yadkin College was established by the Methodist Protestant Church Conference
in 1856 through the eloquent recommendation of the Honorable Henry Walser,
a State Representative, its major founder and prime leader for more than
a quarter of a century. It is now a National Register Historic District.
Davidson County Historical
Museum is located in the Old
Courthouse (see below). Founded in 1976, its mission is to
preserve and present the history of Davidson County and its people through
exhibits, programs, and other resources. The Museum maintains a collection
of approximately 10,000 artifacts and documents, a portion of which are
on display in exhibits on various aspects of county and regional history.
The museum is open to the public 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. Tuesday through
Saturday, and 2:00 to 4:00 P.M. Sunday. Individual and group tours,
special programs, and workshops are offered by staff and volunteers.
Admission is free. Please call 336/242-2035 for more information
and a list of current activities.
The Old Courthouse,
ca. 1858. This Greek Revival/Italianate Revival structure
replaced the simpler original Davidson County Courthouse, ca. 1824, about
which very little is known. The Old Courthouse, located on the town
square in Lexington, is built of brick and covered with stucco. Built
at a cost of $25,000, the building was hailed by newspapers in the state
as a monument to the progressiveness of local citizens because of its grand
scale and classic design. The foundation is of granite quarried in
Conrad Hill, one of Davidson County's 17 townships. After the Civil
War, during the occupation of Lexington by Union troops in 1865, the interior
was damaged by a fire of undetermined origin. It was nearly three
years before the war-impoverished county was able to repair the building
by borrowing $10,000 from several private citizens. In 1971 the Old
Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today the building is regarded as one of the foremost examples of temple
form architecture in the southeastern U.S. For tours of the building,
which is maintained by the Davidson County Historical Museum, call