•In response to requests from local citizens, the
Davidson County commissioners in
May of 1946 approved an appropriation of $50 per month for a third branch of the Davidson County Public Library in Denton with the
understanding that suitable
quarters would be provided by the town. The local Lions Club responded by providing the location, which was a rented room
above Morris-Lanier Grocery Store
on the south side of Salisbury Street at the North Main intersection.
•The library was located upstairs with a collection of
about 600 books.